AYAM MASAK MERAH
(Malay-Style Red Chicken Curry)
vegetable oil, enough to pan-fry
10 chicken drumsticks/thighs
2 tsp turmeric powder
2 red onions, cut into rings
4 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp ketchup
1-2 tbsp dark soya sauce
2 tsp sugar
a pinch of salt
3cm piece ginger
10 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
5-6 dry chillies, deseeded and soaked until softened
3-4 red chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1. Coat the chicken with turmeric powder and marinate for about 20-30 minutes. In a wok or deep pan, put the vegetable oil enough to pan fry the chicken. When the oil is hot, fry the chicken in batch until they turn slightly golden brown. Drain and set aside.
2. In a food processor, grind all the spice paste ingredients into a smooth paste. In a pot, put about 3-4 tbsp of oil, put in the ground paste. On a low heat, cook until the oil surfaces the paste.
3. Then, put in onions and tomatoes, cook until they are soft. Add the tomato puree, tomato ketchup, dark soya sauce, sugar, salt. Adjust seasoning if needed. Mix well. Then, put in water. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and cover for about 10 minutes.
4. Add in the chicken, mix well to coat the chicken with the sauce. Bring to a slight boil. Then, reduce the heat to low and put the lid on and cook for another 30-35 minutes or when until the sauce has reduced and thicken.
5. Serve with coconut scented rice, nasi tomato (tomato rice), or steamed rice.